After banging my head against a brick wall for several hours wondering why my feature service field order wasn’t matching my MXD field order it appears that while reordered filed are respected for Map Services they aren’t for Feature Services.
Apparently this is a known bug but the bug report seems to have gone AWOL (BUG-000090535 – Feature Service Fields List Order is not maintained on REST endpoint)
So unfortunately if you need to reorder the field for a feature service and you aren’t using a webmap you need to recreate the feature class with the correct field order…
A long time ago (2011!) I wrote about using an invisible layer in Dekho that users could still select & identify from.
We it seems that old trick is still useful nowadays.
A gripe of mine, and many people on the Esri Geonet forums, regarding vector tile caches are that they do not support identify or query methods as the attributes are not stored in the cache. I can call it a gripe as the OSM/Mapbox specification for vector tiles does allow for attributes – but this would slow it down. Continue Reading
I’ve ported the Excel based ArcGIS Server Memory calculator to two web based calculators.
There is the basic calculator (https://ope.nz/esri/mem_calc_basic) which suggests, based on best practise, how much memory and how many map services your server can run.
Te advanced calculator (https://ope.nz/esri/mem_calc_advanced) uses more detailed input (like average ArcSOC.exe memeory) to recommend how much memory you need to run a specific number of map services.
I’ve updated the ArcGIS Server memory calculator for 10.5. There are a few enhancements like a yes/no drop down for virtualisation.
You can grab it from the link below.
Recently performed an upgrade from ArcGIS Server 10.3.1 to 10.4.1. Everything seemed fine but two geoprocessing services refused to start and were throwing an error of;
GPServer: java.rmi.UnmarshalException: Error unmarshaling return header; nested exception is: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
Turns out (according to this link) that the registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.7 might be empty. Checked the registry and indeed it was empty.
Turns out uninstalling the background geoprocessing for ArcGIS Desktop shouldnt be done after upgrading ArcGIS Server (forgot that it was installed!).
Luckily I could recover the registry keys from another environment and all was well.
With the move to virtualisation and especially cloud its very easy to change the specification of your ArcGIS Server – increase cores, memory etc. While updating some tiles on a cache service the other day I noticed the number of caching service instances was set to 3 which was odd considering the AWS instance had 8 cores (originally it was 2 cores). Continue Reading